10 Clothing Tips for Your Senior Session!
Choosing your clothing is the fun part about Senior Portraits! It’s a great opportunity to express your unique and creative style. Here are 10 easy senior portrait clothing tips!
1. Flaunt your personality The number one rule of choosing clothing for your senior portrait session is simple: wear what reflects your personality! Do you have a necklace that you love and wear all the time? Bring it. Is being apart of a sports team a big part of your life? Wear your uniform. Do you like to stand out by wearing bold colors and patterns? Do it up! Senior Portraits are all about showing off who you are at this point in your life. This is all about you! We want you to feel absolutely natural, so pick outfits that you find your self wearing a lot and that make you feel confident. The more comfortable you are the more amazing your pictures will be- let your outfit work for you! Also consider your Session Style and Session Type. If you choose an Urban Session Style, consider clothing that would look great in an urban setting next to buildings, concrete, and lots of texture.
2. Solids, patterns, and styles…oh my! Be sure to bring a variety of clothes including solid colors (a must!) and clothing that varies in texture, patterns, design, and style. Solid colors are important because they aren’t busy and distracting, putting the focus on YOU. They also work great outside in contrast to the detail and distracting elements of the great outdoors. Avoid large patterns, wide stripes, and large logos. They tend to be busy, and could go out of style. Oh and bring your best friend to your session! We LOVE getting a best friend photo! :)
3. Choose colors to suit your skin tone For your senior portrait, pick colors you look good in and that flatter your skin tone. There are two basic skin tones — cool and warm. Skin tones can be narrowed down into the four season categories: winter, summer, autumn and spring. By matching your skin tone with the right “season”, you’ll be able to dress your best. Winter skin tones can be pale, yellow, or dark with blue or pink undertones. Sharp colors like black and blue are great for winter skin tones, but light browns won’t help you out. If your skin is pink, then you fall into the summer category, and are best suited for pastels. Summers should only bring out the orange and black on Halloween. Red heads and brunettes generally belong to the autumn camp and look best in oranges, browns and other earthy tones. If you have light skin and possibly freckles, you are spring and should wear yellows, warm greens, and peach tones. There are a few colors which seem to complement all kinds of skin tones and seasons. They are Blush Pink, True Red, Teal, Eggplant, and Black.
4. Get ready for your close-up For close-up or yearbook poses, pay attention to the sleeve-style and neckline of your shirt. Long sleeves or three-quarter sleeves work best, while short sleeves or sleeveless shirts should be avoided. A neckline that comes up to the base of the neck, like a collard shirt or a v-neck top will thin the neck and frame your face beautifully. Avoid wide open necklines, as they tend to thicken the neck. If you have a slightly longer neck, choose a shirt with a higher neckline. If you have a shorter neck, choose a shirt with a slight v-neck.
5. Keep potato sacks for potatoes! For senior portraits, choose clothes that are form fitting and not too loose or baggy. Wearing clothes that just hang off of you will hide your shape and make you look boxy in your photos. Clothing that has a structure and tapers at the waist generally looks best. Stay away from poncho style shirts, tube tops, and excessively baggy clothing as it tends to make you look wider.
6. Jeans are your best friends Jeans are always a classic and may be easily combined with a favorite shirt or blouse. They can add a casual flair to pictures, and look best when form fitted and in a darker shade. If you own skinny jeans, flaunt them! Stay away from jeans that are excessively baggy. Guys, watch the amount of sag and if needed, wear a belt!
7. Dress up For girls, don’t be afraid to bring a dress, as they are a great way to add a unique touch to your portraits. Wearing a formal dress in an informal setting can make for an interesting photo. We recommend dresses that have a cinched in waist and flair outwards like a bell at the hips to show off your waist line. This “A-line” style works beautifully for any body type. Dresses that have a flowing skirt look great too, and they can be magical outside if we catch a gust of wind! Lucca Fashion Boutique and Lush are both a great source for finding a wide range of adorable dresses (and cute accessories) to fit any budget.
8. Don’t be afraid to accessorize Jewelry, hats, props, instruments, a vintage camera, pets…the sky is the limit! Get creative and include accessories in your Senior Portraits to make a statement about your personality. Even one or two items can add a nice finishing touch to your pictures. Common accessories include jewelry specific to an outfit, guitars, hats, your car, and sports gear. Also, don’t forget to change up your look with different pairs of shoes. Karleigh is sporting an adorable floppy hat that stands out next to her white shirt and chunky necklace!
9. Still not sure? Bring extra! When in doubt, bring extra outfits and accessories to your photo session! We know how to style seniors for portraits, so let our expertise make it easy for you. We recommend that you bring 1 to 2 extra items and we will help you pick the best ones to use. We also have a large variety of studio backgrounds and colors to complement your style.
10. Pay attention to the details Last but not least, be sure to pay attention to the little details that can make or break your outfit. Dust spots and wrinkles in clothing are a photographer’s worst nightmare! The more polished your clothing looks, the better your pictures will turn out. So take some time ahead of your session to carefully look over your clothing and make sure it’s as camera ready as you are. Think you’ve got it all down? Don’t forget to book your session with us and bring your fashionable self!